Sunday, April 1, 2012

Give It Up!

So, I am definitely one of those people who is almost bawling in tears on my couch after watching one of those informationals on poverty stricken areas. I get sad when I see a stray dog, starving on the side of the road, seeing children with cancer struggle with losing their hair during chemo makes me want to pull a Britney Spears in my bathroom every now and then in hopes of making them feel better [hey, I did my big chop when I was going natural...not a big difference :-)].

Needless to say, I am a charity kind of woman who loves to volunteer...as we all should be.

Proverbs 3:27-29 tells us: "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. Do not say to your neighbor, “Come back later; I’ll give it tomorrow”— when you now have it with you (NIV84)." And in Matthew 6:19-21, Jesus clearly instructs: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

We cannot hold on to the blessings God has given us by selfishly keeping them from sacrificially serving His kingdom. If I die as soon as I publish this post, I don't want to have to open my eyes on the day of judgement and find myself trying to explain why my bank account was flourishing while my sister was hungry.

I often run across people who say they are interested in giving to charities and volunteering, but do not really know which ones to get involved with. Personally, I say it depends on whichever one seems to be pulling at your heart the most. Before getting heavily involved with anything, I am a firm believer that spending some quality time seeking guidance from our Heavenly Father is a must. He has softened my heart towards the plight of our youth, and I believe that is why most of the non-profit organizations I am involved with are primarily geared towards children and teenagers.

In this blog post, I really just wanted to share a few of the non-profit organizations that are closest to my heart. Hopefully, they will be a good starting point for you...God bless!

1. Code BLUE Youth Mentoring
This non-profit may very well be the closest to my heart because it is the brain child of me and my eldest sister; it's my baby. We started the program in 2007 with only eight girls. To date, God has allowed us to provide mentorship for over fifty young ladies in the Mobile County Public School System.

We spend a lot of time teaching the girls the benefits of going to college and encourage them to take their academic careers very seriousl...y, even at such a young age. Assigned mentors are required to visit their mentee at school at least once a week, and are to call them regularly. 

For more information on how you can help out, send an E-mail to CodeBlueMentoring@ymail.com or visit our Facebook page by clicking the progam title above!

2. Compassion International
This non-profit is fairly new in my life. When my husband and I first got engaged, he was sharing with me all of the charities he gives to on a regular basis. He let me know that he sponsors a child through Compassion International and needless to say, I feel even more in love with him at that very moment.

According to their Web site, "Compassion International exists as a Christian child advocacy ministry that releases children from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty and enables them to become responsible, fulfilled Christian adults. Founded by the Rev. Everett Swanson in 1952, Compassion began providing Korean War orphans with food, shelter, education and health care, as well as Christian training."

Click the link above to see how you can sponor a Compassion child!

3. charity: water
I absolutely LOVE this charity! When I first heard about while I was still in undergrad, it opened my eyes to a growing problem in our world that I was not aware of. I mean, of course I knew getting clean water was an issue in some countries, but I had no idea of how many people were affected by it and I could not just stand by and watch after putting faces to the epidemic.

Through charity: water, each $20 general donation the organtion receives one person to receive access to a clean water project...$20! I used to spend that on a night at Liquid Sushi Lounge with my girlfriends, or on a handbag, or some scrapbooking supplies. How beautiful that that Lord can change our heart so that we begin to understand how He really wants us to be a blessing to others.

Click the link about to see how you can start making a difference through charity: water!


Again, I pray this short blog tugs on your heart and inspires you to give more (in anyway you can) to the children of God.

With A Servant's Heart,
Ashley Danielle

3 comments:

  1. Charity is very important.Your blog inspires me to take a look at where I'm spending my time and money. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have forgotten so much that our live affects each other. So many people that we just here to please ourselves. Its funny how many time in church I have heard people quote the scripture, "I am the lender and not the borrower." All I can think when I heard that is how come your not lending then. By definition don't a lender lend. Selah

    ReplyDelete