Thursday, October 14, 2010

Your Birthday Wish Could Save Millions

Well you guys, my birthday is coming up and this year, I want to do things a little differently!
All of my birthdays have always been about me. I always felt like my birthday was the most important day of the year next to Christmas and my mom’s birthday (hey, I can’t compete with the birth our our Lord and Savior and the most spectacular woman to ever walk on this earth, lol).

This year, I don’t want it to be about me so…I’m giving up my birthday.

I’m turning 24 years old, and instead of asking for gifts, I’m asking for $10, $24 (for my age) or more from everyone I know as well as my loyal BeautyGirlMag.com readers. But I’m not keeping a dime of it. Every penny will be used to help build freshwater wells for people in developing nations.

I’ve set my goal for $100 just because my birthday is coming up so soon, but my campaign will be open until December. I may even switch it over later and ask for donations instead of Christmas presents because I would love to raise the entire $5,000 needed to fully fund a well.

According to the charity: water web site, a billion people in the world are living without clean water – but how much are they really living? Millions contract deadly diseases from contaminated water. 45,000 people will die this week alone. The lucky ones won’t, but still walk hours each day to get dirty water to give to their families. In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year just walking for water. It is common for women and children to bear the burden of water collection, walking miles to the nearest source, which is unprotected and likely to make them sick.

My birthday wish this year is not for more gifts I don’t need; it’s to give clean and safe drinking water to some of the billions living without it. I want to make my birthday matter this year.

 TO READ THE REST OF THIS INTERVIEW, VISIT  - BeautyGirlMag.com

No comments:

Post a Comment